Wednesday, April 13, 2011

American I Am

         After viewing the exhibit "America I Am", I  think that it means that we are the past, present, and future of our country.  I think this because all of the events and time periods (mainly African American events) that other African Americans had to go through led up to us, and it is us who will continue to help this country succeed.  I know this because in the exhibit it talked about how MLK's speech had "all men are created equal, which was from the Declaration of Independence.  Also, many other African Americans used the quote from the Declaration of Independence that all men have certain unalienable rights showing that they think deserve certain rights.  Also, in the exhibit the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments basically freed slaves and gave them major rights showing how we made major steps in becoming free.  Another example is that Shirley Chisholm ran for president which is another major step leading up to us.  The last example is of Michael Jordan's jersey because he achieved a lot both on and off the court through his play and endorsements, showing the success of African Americans in this country.

         Overall, I think this exhibit is worth seeing because it allows us to learn about our pasts.  At times, it seems boring and seemed sort of long, but maybe that was just me.  Some points were interesting like when I saw the jersey of Michael Jordan.  If I could add something I would add more hands-on activities.  I would recommend this to other people, but I wouldn't go again because to me things aren't as fun after you've seen it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment